SPEAKING ROMANIA PATCH PROGRAM
1. Romania is located in the southeast of Europe, at the northern part of the Balkan Peninsula. View an outline of a Romanian country map and its Capital. Identify Romania's flag.
2. Romania's official language is Romanian. About 91% of the nation's first language is Romanian, and according to the Constitution of Romania, Romanian is the one and only official language. The two minority languages are Hungarian and Vlax Romani. Learn some words or slang that is spoken in Romania.
3. During the winter months in Romania there are a wide variety of customs that leads to the celebration of Christmas and other winter fun holidays. The streets are filled with carolers, decorations and families gathered together to celebrate. On December 6th, Saint Nicholas arrives in town and gives gifts, like sweets or books, in their boots that are left out. to all the children at night. Most celebrations are held in the countryside, and each town has their own special way of celebrating yearly festivities. Some examples include: Christmas and the New Year, Easter, and multiple music festivals. Learn about festivals in Romania, go to a festival, participate in one, OR complete a craft that represents a festival.
4. In Romania, food is a precious commodity. There are many traditional dishes made, most of them coming from the countryside. Mamaliga is considered to be the staple food of the Romanians. It is a thick paste-like substance made from corn that is served in a variety of ways. Mamaliga is prepared with a wooden stick, much like a rolling pin. Bread is also a staple food item in Romania. There are many other traditional dishes including: sarmale, ciorba, placinte and torte. Try a recipe, food, or drink from Romania.
5. Folk music in Romania is very important, and is considered to be one of the most fruitful and enduring music traditions in Europe. Folk music is enjoyed at many occasions, all around the country. Different regions have developed their own styles, for example, doina mucis is associated with the Maramures in the northern part of the country. Dance and music goes together at the various festivities all throughout the year. Watch a dance OR listen to music OR sing a song OR learn more information about a dance from Romania and try your own moves.
6. Romania has a strong background in folk literature-especially in vampires and werewolves! A belief in both of these creatures has existed in Romania for centuries, and plays an important part in their culture. Read a vampire or werewolf story, legend, OR listen to a legend or play.
7. Romania has a history rich in conquest and rule by foreign empires. Not until 1877 was Romania formally recognized as a state. Their history is full of oppression, starting back in A.D. 101 with the invasion of the Romans, all the way to the 1980's. Learn a fact about the Roman Empire.
8. Romania's land is mostly made up of the Carpathian Mountains, and the Danube River and its many tributaries. The Carpathian Mountains were formed by glacial erosion and are composed of hard crystalline and volcanic rock, limestone and granite. The mountains serve to be a very attractive scenery for Romania and has a wealth of wildlife. Choose  animals OR plants from Romania to learn more about.
9. Currently, folk art is confined to the northwestern region called Maramures. In many of the villages, residents still wear traditional costume daily and live a lifestyle that has not changed for centuries. Wood crafting is one of the most popular types of folk art in Romania. Villages are adorned with woodcrafts, and are very beautiful and intricate. Create a craft or project using a traditional a skill OR jewelry OR observe someone creating a handicraft OR a traditional craft from Romania.
10. Traditional dress varies greatly from one region to the other. There are some commonalities though. Men wear a cap or hat, and both men and women wear a long white shirt. Women wear vests that are heavily embroidered, and different regions have their own colors and accessories that are used. Women's skirts are also very decorative and are usually made of woolen fabrics. Footwear is sandals, moccasins, and boots, and are made of leather. Draw a picture of the clothing, dress up in a Romanian themed costume, create an accessory, complete our paper dolls OR view traditional clothing through books or the Internet or our country manual.
11.There are a variety of games played by children in Romania. Learn a traditional game OR play a game that symbolizes Romania OR play a game in our manual.
12. Transylvania is located in the central area of Romania. One of the attractions that is visited is the Bran Castle, also known as Dracula's Castle. Find out more about the castle, landmarks, buildings or statues located in Romania OR watch a movie that is about Transylvania.
Churchside Drive, Gainesville, VA 20155 (703) 743-9948 Fax